Thursday 16 August 2018

Acceptance: The greatest Gift

Acceptance


I am a patient, medically an expert in just a few things,
Surviving Striving and Thriving while under stress,
An ICU stay that nearly ended me,
But turned out to be the rebirth of me.

I was never the most social of people,
Talking to others, terror-inducing,
The thought of parties a tiring thought,
Meeting strangers a crazy idea,

After rehabilitation complete, 
Invited to help those after,
Brought into a team as a peer,
Never looked down on but looked to for views,
Acceptance a feel new to me.

Hard work, volunteering and writing,
Drew attention from across the land,
An Invitation extended to speak,
A wary acceptance, fearing the stress.

Arrival greeted welcomed by all,
unconditional acceptance from strangers,
A strange new place I find myself,
Accepted by those who know me least,
Made to feel part of the team.




So I would like to thank the InS:PIRE team at Crosshouse who not only saved my life, helped me to rebuild myself but invited me to volunteer as a peer volunteer this has opened so many doors for me to talk about my experience and hopefully pass on any wisdom I have gleaned. 

I would also like to thank ICUSteps Edinburgh Who invited me to speak at their event but made me feel welcome and as if I was one of there team. It is very rare for me to be welcomed so warmly and unconditionally. 

This has only been possible because I nearly died and I am thankful that i did because these events changed my life for the better. It has given me purpose and meaning to my life and this was hard to find before my coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on the A-F bundle

 I was always told to stay humble, I was told let others speak about the things you do, So I’ll talk about the A to F bundle, It should be f...