Monday 25 January 2021

Burns Night

 Ah ma friend there sitting on the plate,

I know what will be thy fate,

As I pungle my dirk in, ye're innards seep out,

The fleshy tomb you were encased, slowly cut asunder,

I look upon you laying there with guilt upon me face,

I look upon the flesh as it lay with a hungry gaze,

My mouth a' salivating as I ruminate your fate.


Your flesh in my mouth such the sweetest of taste,

Ah that taste it has been too long to once more taste,

The spice bringing warm as it travels to its final home,

Ah my friend this will be but our last meet,

Alas unless I once more find myself weak.


I look at you upon the plate the King of foods,

The uncontested great sitting there with your two mates,

Those mashed friends both of ground,

 Who found their place at your side,

They sit there taking the back seat,

Sitting there both tattie and neep,

They mellow the spice and enhance your taste.


I look at you my fair national dish,

Alas I have but one more wish,

That I may once more taste upon your flesh,

 Without the worry of distress,

Without the fear of what will come,

To sit at that table and fill my tum.



For those who do not know January 25th is Burns night and while I lack his ability to write in scots this is my tribute to the greatest of Bards. He is the inspiration for oh so many Scottish poets as he is often the first poet whom we can relate to through our schooling as while Scots has mostly been folded into our dialect of English we can understand the words he says and they speak to us. I hope you enjoy this poem and understand it is a homage to the Address to the Haggis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on the A-F bundle

 I was always told to stay humble, I was told let others speak about the things you do, So I’ll talk about the A to F bundle, It should be f...