Monday 8 June 2020

ICU Life and Recovery Podcast

So this is a blog post, I know what am I doing, I am insane. But I just wanted to tell people who read my blog but maybe don't follow my tweets that closely. I started what I am hoping to be a monthly podcast called ICU Life and Recovery Podcast and set up a twitter account for it Twitter account

This is the most excited I have been for a project ever in my life, it is a concept I created, an ex-patient and patient advocate talking with experts about a topic they are passionate about in ICU. I feel patient insight is often overlooked or not used enough so I thought I have enough friends in the ICU field maybe I could get some of them to have a chat with me and record it and see how it turned out. So I set out to plan out a concept writing up a concept document and planning out an order for the podcast.

I then spoke to my friends and a lot more than I expected agreed to be on it, enough that I started to feel a lot of pressure, I also was involved in an Intensive Care Society    webinar and then when I announced my podcast they were interested in helping support me and the pressure started to increase. Now I am partially to blame for this in that I created the twitter account and announce I was planning it before I had even recorded my intro. So a lot of people followed the account and it added stress to me that maybe wasn't great for me. 

But I now felt if I didn't make this happen I was going to let down my friends and that it's tough on me. So I recorded the introduction episode and had my good friend Heidi listen to it and tell me what she thought. I have done a lot of work with Heidi and we where at the EDA conference you can read about in previous blog posts. I did a little rearranging and fired it up through Anchor podcast distribution platform, it's easy and straight forward so I love it. It was well received and interest seemed to increase. So I had to decide who would be my first guest and I guess to a lot of people it would have been a hard one but to me, it was one person Kate Tantam. A loyal and supportive friend, I knew a few things, one that we wouldn't have dead air because she can talk about our topic of discussion till the day was done, this took the stress off the anti-social person that is me to carry the discussion. We have chatted a lot on the phone online etc so I know we can have discussions without stepping on each other and most importantly as a good friend I knew she would help make it great.

And it turned out great, it required more editing than I had expected mostly because I stutter and um when I am replying because I need to give my brain time to catch up even more so now post ICU. I do things to allow my slower brain to go through the processes and analyse the information. But finally after a lot of hard work I have an end product that I am extremely proud of.

So going forward I am probably going to blog a big about every new episode because I think it might be interesting and its really important to me so I thought you might like to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on the A-F bundle

 I was always told to stay humble, I was told let others speak about the things you do, So I’ll talk about the A to F bundle, It should be f...